Project Officer based in Palu (re-advertised)
April 11, 2019
Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund (ASB) is one of Germany‘s oldest and largest social welfare organisations. ASB has over 200 offices in Germany and a membership of 1.1 million. Core activities include the provision of public medical and rescue services alongside an extensive range of social service provision. Overseas, ASB‘s Foreign Aid Department operates mainly in the fields of humanitarian relief, return and reintegration, development and disaster risk reduction (DRR).
ASB Indonesia and the Philippines aims to build resilience through inclusive and risk aware development. ASB has been working in Indonesia, in partnership with the Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs, since 2006. In Indonesia ASB works directly with partners and communities, and in support of government, to empower and build resilience through an inclusive, all-of-society approach. A key component of the work that ASB does across the region is implementing and promoting inclusive risk aware practice. ASB is also a founding member of the Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction Network (DiDRRN).
As part of an initial recruitment process, ASB is currently seeking expressions of interest from qualified and committed individuals for the following position:
Location: Palu, Central Sulawesi
Duration: until December 2019
Start: June 2019
Vacancy: National position
Salary: ASB offers a competitive salary package commensurate with experience
Closing: 10 June 2019
Project “Strengthening Local Capacities for Inclusive Early Recovery Post-Earthquake and Tsunami in Central Sulawesi” seeks to support the early recovery of community affected by earthquake, tsunami and liquefaction in Central Sulawesi. The support will be channelled through the provision of accessible WASH facilities and services as well as DRR capacity building at community and schools settings. The project complements the previous ASB/Solidar Suisse Emergency Response Project “Inclusive Emergency Response for Earthquake and Tsunami Affected People in Central Sulawesi.” Through the current project, ASB continues seeking for inclusion of persons with disabilities, women and older persons.
This position is primarily to coordinate and deliver project activities aimed to support the early recovery of community affected by earthquake, tsunami and liquefaction in Central Sulawesi. The Project Officer is expected to plan and monitor progress of field activities as well as to coordinate with relevant stakeholders including government to ensure project are in line and synchronised with government policies and planning. Specific duties will include capacity building/training design and delivery. The Project Officer reports to Project Manager and is expected to coordinate closely with other team members.
Duties & Essential Job Functions:
1. To work closely with Project Manager and other Project Officers and WASH Officers in planning and preparing activities, meetings, workshops and trainings at community and government settings.
2. In close coordination with the other team members to ensure that relevant material, documents and equipment are prepared in advance of project field activities including WASH-related constructions, meetings, workshops and trainings.
3. To coordinate with key stakeholders and partners, especially local governments at district and sub-district levels, village governments, community, Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs) and external trainers/consultants.
4. To lead the development of community planning and regulation related to DRR.
5. To lead the establishment of community organization and mobilization related to disaster preparedness/DRR.
6. To work closely with other Project Officers, WASH Officers and the other team member in preparing and delivering high-quality trainings and related capacity-building activities.
7. To actively communicate with Project Manager problems and possible solution identified in all project activities.
8. To support Project Manager to ensure planning and compliance regarding activities, outputs (with due regard to outcomes) and financial compliance.
9. Representation of ASB to local project partners, government and to other concerned parties including informal and formal coordination meetings, conferences, capacity building activity and similar.
10.To ensure active participation of key stakeholders in all project activities with particular regard to participation and inclusion of potentially at-risk groups according to gender, age, disability and socio-economic standing. Also, pay due regard to individuals who may be impacted as indirect beneficiaries of project activities.
11.To actively conduct monitoring and evaluation for project activities including identification of problems and possible solution.
12.To work closely with Project Manager to maintain full quality of all field, or related activities documentation for ASB, donor, and partner including government reference.
13.To work closely with Project Manager ensure all project documentation is gender, age and disability aware and that all documentation is suitably disaggregated by gender, age and disability.
14.To comply with ASB security and safety guidelines and code of conduct and actively contribute to a safe, secure and healthy working environment for all team members, partners and beneficiaries.
15.Any other duties as advised by Project Manager that are in relation to the project.
Output: The main outputs and verifiable deliverables of the position are:
1. The delivery of the above to ensure quality of project activities and to support the successful implementation of the project.
2. Completed log, records and concise report of field activities.
3. Monthly summary reports of activities, issues and recommendations submitted to Project Manager.
4. Regular spoken updates to Project Manager.
5. The prompt reporting of issues and risks and possible solution identified to Project Manager.
6. Monthly work log.
a. University degree in social sciences or other related subjects.
b. Minimum 5 years’ experience of working in DRR and/or in other relevant sectors.
c. Experience in engagement with, and ensuring active participation of stakeholders at all level.
d. Demonstrate understanding of inclusion principles and show capability to put it into practice.
e. Knowledge and skills on institutionalised capacity building and organisational development is an asset
f. Experience in organizing and delivering workshops, meetings or trainings at all levels.
g. Ability and willingness to be based in Palu and to travel to project locations.
h. An awareness of disability and understanding of the principles of inclusion is an asset.
i. Excellent reporting skills.
j. Excellent communication skills.
k. Bahasa Indonesia and English language skills.
l. Enthusiasm, critical thinking and a creative approach to problem solving highly valued.
Qualified applicants should send:
a. Application letter outlining your interest
b. Curriculum vitae max: 2 pages clearly describing your relevant qualifications and experience
c. Contacts of 3 professional referees.
Applications to: email@example.com using the subject line: IDN_Central Sulawesi_PO
NOTE: A failure to follow the above application format will result in applications being disregarded.
ASB is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only electronic applications accepted and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.