Team Leader (1 position) - based in Kupang, NTT (extended deadline)
December 08, 2017
Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund (ASB) is one of Germany‘s oldest and largest social welfare organisations. ASB has over 200 offices in Germany and a membership of 1.1 million. Core activities include the provision of public medical and rescue services alongside an extensive range of social service provision. Overseas, ASB‘s Foreign Aid Department operates mainly in the fields of humanitarian relief, return and reintegration, development and disaster risk reduction (DRR).
ASB Indonesia and the Philippines aims to build resilience through inclusive and risk aware development. ASB has been working in Indonesia, in partnership with the Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs, since 2006. In Indonesia ASB works directly with partners and communities, and in support of government, to empower and build resilience through an inclusive, all-of-society approach. A key component of the work that ASB does across the region is implementing and promoting inclusive risk aware practice. ASB is also a founding member of the Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction Network (DiDRRN).
As part of an initial recruitment process, ASB is currently seeking expressions of interest from qualified and committed individuals for the following position:
Team Leader Nusa Tenggara Timur/NTT (1 person)
Location: East Nusa Tenggara (NTT)
Duration: 1 year with possible extension to December 2019
Start: January 2018
Vacancy: National position
Salary: ASB offers a competitive salary package commensurate with experience
Closing: 2 Januari 2018
“Putting the Sendai Framework into action: Realising all-of-society commitment through the meaningful participation of persons with disabilities in disaster risk reduction at regional, national and local levels” is a consortium programme implemented by DiDRRN members, i.e. ASB, Center for Disability and Development (CDD), CBM International, Malteser International (MI) and Pacific Disability Forum (PDF). In this set-up ASB will be in charge of overall programme management including monitoring, evaluation and learning. Furthermore, ASB will be in charge of coordination with and reporting to donor.
The programme will consist of activities at local, national and regional level. Activities at regional level will be implemented in collaboration between DiDRRN members with focus on collecting and disseminating disability-inclusive DRR (DiDRR) evidences and learnings to influence Sendai Framework for DRR (SFDRR) processes and mechanisms. Activities at local and national level will be implemented by individual DiDRRN member organisations and their local partners in Bangladesh, Indonesia, Myanmar, and Pacific Islands. During the implementation of the project, DiDRRN members will closely collaborate with governmental structures as well as other key stakeholders in the field of disability and DRR to seek for the realisation and scale up of DiDRR practices through all-of-society approach.
Country-level project activities in Indonesia specifically aimed to building institutionalised DiDRR capacity through improvement of capacity transfer mechanism and partnership between provincial Local Disaster Management Office (BPBD) and Disabled People Organisations (DPOs) and other related stakeholders in East Nusa Tenggara (Nusa Tenggara Timur/NTT) with 2 sample districts includes Kupang and Timor Tengah Selatan.
The Team Leader is responsible for project oversight, to ensure quality delivery of field project activities and outcomes, coordinate the project team and act as the point of liaison between ASB and government, DPO partners and other stakeholders in the project area. In close coordination with Programme Manager, the Team Leader will ensure all monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) components of the programme are planned and implemented. The Team Leader reports to Programme Manager and is expected to coordinate closely with Project Coordinator and other programme team members.
Duties & Essential Job Function:
1. Support and work closely with Programme Manager and Project Coordinator to ensure quality project delivery which is in line with donor, partner (including government and DPOs) and ASB expectations and contractual agreements.
2. Ensure operational planning regarding activities, outputs (with due regard to outcomes) and financial and administrative compliance in close coordination with the Programme Manager and Finance team.
3. Representation of ASB to project partners, government and to other concerned parties including through informal and formal coordination meetings, conferences and similar in the project area.
4. Conduct regular project and budget planning, review and monitoring in close coordination with Programme Manager and Finance Team.
5. To ensure all field, or related, activities are properly documented in line with ASB and partner expectations and formal agreement, and are readily available for internal and external reporting processes.
6. To coordinate with and update ASB’s government partners in the project province on project status and progress in line with ASB’s formal commitments to the Indonesian government.
7. Sharing of information, and key lessons learned, between and across ASB projects and inform projects of particular good and best practice examples to encourage and stimulate quality.
8. To promptly inform the Programme Manager and Project Coordinator of any emerging, or potential, risks and issues and of possible courses of action to mitigate such risks and issues.
9. To ensure effective participation, dialogue and inclusion without discrimination within the implementation of all project related activities.
10. To support Programme Manager and Project coordinator in mentoring staff and build staff capacities and instil high standards of professionalism in line with accepted international professional standards and ASB and partner expectations.
11. To comply with ASB security and safety guidelines, communication guideline, code of conduct and SOP.
Output: The main outputs and verifiable deliverables of the position are:
1. The delivery of the above to ensure project activities quality and support the successful implementation of project.
2. Project outputs and activities delivered against indicators according to ASB and partner expectations and contractual obligations.
3. Quality regular work plan and capacity building/training plan developed.
4. Regular spoken and written updates to Programme Manager and Project Coordinator.
5. Full, clear and professional project documentation in line with ASB's internal procedures and partner expectations.
6. Monthly summary reports of activities, issues and recommendations submitted to Programme Manager.
7. Monthly work log.
1. Minimum 7 years experience of working in DRR including in similar position
2. Demonstrable solid knowledge and skills on DRR and other related fields
3. Sound understanding of the principles of social inclusion and capability to put it into practice.
4. Demonstrable solid knowledge and skills of project and financial planning, review and compliance.
5. Understanding of local and national DRR-related policies/framework processes and mechanisms.
6. Showing high responsibility and record of working in partnership at local and national level
7. Demonstrate strong leadership and people management
8. Excellent representation, communication and first-rate reporting skills
9. Excellent problem solving skills
10. Flexible, able to multi-task, able to work independently and work well under pressure as a team player in a multicultural environment.
11. English language proficiency.
12. Coaching and team building skills essential.
13. Experience working in NTT is advantage
14. Willingness to be based in NTT
Qualified applicants should send:
a. Application letter outlining your interest
b. CV of no more than 2 pages clearly describing their qualifications for this position
c. Contacts of 3 professional referees
Applications to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: IDN_DiDRRN_TL
NOTE: A failure to follow the above application format will result in applications being disregarded.
ASB is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only electronic applications accepted and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.