Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund (ASB) is one of Germany‘s oldest and largest social welfare organisations. ASB has over 200 offices in Germany and a membership of 1.1 million. Core activities include the provision of public medical and rescue services alongside an extensive range of social service provision. Overseas, ASB‘s Foreign Aid Department operates mainly in the fields of humanitarian relief, return and reintegration, development and disaster risk reduction (DRR).
ASB Indonesia and the Philippines aims to build resilience through inclusive and risk aware development. ASB has been working in Indonesia, in partnership with the Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs, since 2006. In Indonesia ASB works directly with partners and communities, and in support of government, to empower and build resilience through an inclusive whole-of-community approach. A key component of the work that ASB does across the region is implementing and promoting inclusive risk aware practice. ASB is also a founding member of the Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction Network (DiDRRN).
As part of an initial recruitment process, ASB is currently seeking expressions of interest from qualified and committed individuals for the following position:
Location: West Sumatera, Indonesia.
Vacancy: National position
Salary: ASB offers a competitive salary package commensurate with experience
Closing: 17 November 2017
Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR) and 2030 Agenda place risk management central to resilience. Risk prevention and reduction are increasingly recognised as central to development alongside an ongoing emphasis on preparedness for response in the SFDRR. At the same time, a broadened understanding of risk management, under the umbrella of resilience, is proving challenging to governments. The challenges lie in integrating key development components, such as income generation for the poor, alongside improved preparedness initiatives.
The project ‘Strengthening of DRR capacities and resilience of coastal communities in West Sumatera, therefore, seeks to link socio-economic development activities and risk management to reduce underlying risk factors in two districts in West Sumatera, Pesisir Selatan and the Mentawai Islands. The project key components include capacity building for community through institutionalised and practical integration of preparedness and livelihood development measurements. The inclusion of most at-risk groups, i.e. women, older people and persons with disability in the project implementation will serve as social cohesion contributor to strengthen community resilience. The project will also seek to support governance capacities in the two working areas.
The project will seek synergies with government planning and programming where possible and promote greater emphasis on risk management and inclusion of highly at risks in line with the National Resilient Village Programme priorities.
This position is primarily to lead infrastructure related activities aimed to improve community preparedness. The position is also to support the establishment and capacity building of community-working group who will drive infrastructure planning and implementation within the project. Duties will include construction planning and budgeting, community and local government engagement and trainings/capacity building delivery and documentation. The Construction Supervisor reports to Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist, and is expected to coordinate closely with other team members including Trainer, Project Officer and Field Facilitator.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB WORK FUNCTIONS:
1. To work closely with Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist in planning, preparing and delivering safer public construction i.e. evacuation route and assembly point to support community preparedness.
2. To work closely with Project Manager and Finance Team in ensuring cost effectiveness and efficiency for delivery of infrastructure works by preparing and monitoring respective expenditures (incl. Bill of Quantity/BoQ).
3. To accomplish construction project results by defining project purpose and scope, calculating resources required and establishing standards and relevant mechanism.
4. To lead the establishment and capacity building of infrastructure community-working groups through selecting, training, assigning and coaching for the working group members.
5. To ensure that construction planning and delivering are risk sensitive and accessible including for persons with disability and older persons. To lead in monitoring and evaluation of the construction plan and works and to provide necessary inputs for improvement. In close coordination with the team members to ensure that relevant materials and documents are developed, and equipment is prepared in advance for infrastructure-related activities.
6. To ensure training and related capacity building activities are actively-participatory, inclusive, practically focused and relevant.
7. To ensure active participation of key stakeholders in infrastructure related activities including training and capacity building activities with particular regard to participation and inclusion of potentially at-risk groups according to gender, age, and disability. Also, pay due regards to individuals who may be impacted as indirect beneficiaries of the activities.
8. To ensure training and capacity building activities documentation is gender, age and disability aware and that all documentation is suitably disaggregated by gender, age and disability.
9. To actively communicate with Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist problems and possible solution identified in infrastructure-related activities.
10. To comply with ASB security and safety guidelines and code of conduct and actively contribute to a safe, secure and healthy working environment for all team members, partners and beneficiaries.
11. Any other duties as advised by Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist that are in relation to the project.
Output: The main outputs and verifiable deliverables of the position are:
1. The delivery of the above to ensure the accomplishment and quality of project infrastructure component and to support the successful implementation of project.
2. Local government and community organisations are capacitated in risk sensitive and accessible construction.
3. Quality construction plan including design, guidelines and relevant standards andBoQdeveloped.
4. Capacity building/training plan materials developed.
5. Training monitoring and evaluations completed.
6. Completed training and capacity building activities log and records.
7. Monthly summary reports of activities, issues and recommendations submitted to the Project Manager.
8. Regular spoken updates to Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist.
9. The prompt reporting of issues and risks and possible solution identified to Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist.
10. Monthly work log.
- Minimum bachelor degree on civil engineering or other relevant subjects.
- Minimum 5 year experience of working in community-driven infrastructure or other relevant fields.
- Knowledge of community-based disaster risk reduction is an advantage.
- Experience in organizing and delivering training and capacity building activities at community level.
- Good communication and coordination skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel to and stay in project locations.
- Knowledge of national, local risk management policy and planning an advantage.
- Knowledge of gender, disability and inclusion an advantage.
- Good reporting skills is an advantage.
- Computer literate and familiarity working with civil-engineering related software.
- Able to multi-task and work to achieve deadlines.
- Able to work under own initiative as well as within a team in a multicultural environment.
- Enthusiasm, critical thinking and a creative approach to problem solving highly valued.
ASB Indonesia and the Philippines is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants should send:
a. Application letter outlining your interest
b. CV of no more than 2 pages clearly describing their qualifications for this position
c. Contacts of 3 professional referees
Applications to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: IDN_1602_Construction
NOTE: A failure to follow the above application format will result in applications being disregarded.
ASB is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only electronic applications accepted and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.