Project Officer (2 positions) - based in Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara
October 20, 2017
Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund (ASB) is one of Germany‘s oldest and largest social welfare organisations. ASB has over 200 offices in Germany and a membership of 1.1 million. Core activities include the provision of public medical and rescue services alongside an extensive range of social service provision. Overseas, ASB‘s Foreign Aid Department operates mainly in the fields of humanitarian relief, return and reintegration, development and disaster risk reduction (DRR).
ASB Indonesia and the Philippines aims to build resilience through inclusive and risk aware development. ASB has been working in Indonesia, in partnership with the Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs, since 2006. In Indonesia ASB works directly with partners and communities, and in support of government, to empower and build resilience through an inclusive, all-of-society approach. A key component of the work that ASB does across the region is implementing and promoting inclusive risk aware practice. ASB is also a founding member of the Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction Network (DiDRRN).
As part of an initial recruitment process, ASB is currently seeking expressions of interest from qualified and committed individuals for the following position:
PROJECT OFFICER (2 Persons)
Location : Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT)
Duration : 1 year with possible extension to December 2019
Start : 1 December 2017
Vacancy : National position
Salary : ASB offers a competitive salary package commensurate with experience
Closing : 6 November 2017
“Putting the Sendai Framework into action: Realising all-of-society commitment through the meaningful participation of persons with disabilities in disaster risk reduction at regional, national and local levels” is a consortium programme implemented by DiDRRN members, i.e. ASB, Center for Disability and Development (CDD), Christian Blind Mission (CBM), Malteser International (MI) and Pacific Disability Forum (PDF). In this set-up ASB will be in charge of overall programme management including monitoring, evaluation and learning. Furthermore, ASB will be in charge of coordination with and reporting to donor.
The programme will consist of activities at local, national and regional level. Activities at regional level will be implemented in collaboration between DiDRRN members with focus on collecting and disseminating disability-inclusive DRR (DiDRR) evidences and learnings to influence Sendai Framework for DRR (SFDRR) processes and mechanisms. Activities at local and national level will be implemented by individual DiDRRN member organisations and their local partners in Bangladesh, Indonesia, Myanmar, and Pacific Islands. During the implementation of the project, DiDRRN members will closely collaborate with governmental structures as well as other key stakeholders in the field of disability and DRR to seek for the realisation and scale up of DiDRR practices through all-of-society approach.
Country-level activities in Indonesia specifically aimed to building institutionalised DiDRR capacity through improvement of capacity transfer mechanism and partnership between provincial Local Disaster Management Office (BPBD) and Disabled People Organisations (DPOs) and other related stakeholders in East Nusa Tenggara (Nusa Tenggara Timur/NTT) with 2 sampe districts include Kupang and Timor Tengah Selatan.
This position is primarily to coordinate and deliver field activities aimed to building institutionalised DiDRR capacity through improvement of capacity transfer mechanism and partnership between BPBD, DPOs and other related stakeholders in NTT province/districts. The Project Officer will intensively assist design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation plan within the programme. The incumbent is expected to support learning and good practices documentation to feed activities at regional level. Specific duties will include local stakeholders coordination and engagement, and capacity building/trainings design and delivery. The Project Officer reports to Programme Manager and Team Leader and is expected to coordinate closely with other team members.
Duties & Essential Job Function:
1. To coordinate with key stakeholders and partners, especially local governments at province and district levels, including BPBD, DPOs, and DRR/disability government and non-government actors.
2. To prepare and deliver high-quality trainings and related capacity-building services.
3. To ensure trainings are actively-participatory, inclusive, practically focused and relevant.
4. To work with Team Leader and other Project Officer in planning and preparing meetings, workshops and trainings and to ensure in close coordination with the team members that relevant material, documents and equipment are prepared in advance of the events.
5. To deliver activities as agreed under the approved project agreement (the agreement).
6. To actively conduct monitoring and evaluation for project activities including identification of problems and possible solution; preliminary assessments of people with disability and other at risk groups and ensure their inclusion.
7. To actively communicate with Programme Manager and Team Leader problems and possible solution identified in all project activities.
8. To document capacity building activities in line with ASB and partner expectations and requirements.
9. To assist in administering and documenting trainings and related activities including training logs, training content and information regarding number of people trained and how, when and where.
10. To ensure all field, or related, activities are properly documented and are readily available for internal and external reporting processes.
11. To ensure all project documentation is gender, age and disability aware and that all documentation is suitably disaggregated by gender, age and disability.
12. Any other duties as advised by Programme Manager and Team Leader and that are in relation to the project.
13. To comply with ASB security and safety guidelines and code of conduct and actively contribute to a safe, secure and healthy working environment for all team members, partners and beneficiaries.
Output: The main outputs and verifiable deliverables of the position are:
1. The delivery of the above to ensure project activities quality and support the successful implementation of projects.
2. Quality capacity building/training plan and regular workplan developed.
3. Necessary training materials developed.
4. Training monitoring and evaluations completed.
5. Notes and minutes, and summary reports of formal and informal meetings concerning coordination, survey and training.
6. Research and/or assessment analysis reported.
7. Completed meeting / socialization and training records and logs.
8. Monthly report to Programme Manager and Team Leader.
9. Regular spoken updates to team during, but not limited to, Programme Manager and Team Leader.
10. The prompt reporting of underperformance issues and risks and recommendation of relevant solution to Programme Manager and Team Leader.
11. Monthly work log.
1. University degree in social sciences or other related subjects.
2. Minimum 5 years’ experience of working in DRR and/or in other relevant sectors.
3. Experience in engagement with, and ensuring active participation of stakeholders at all level.
4. Demonstrate understanding of inclusion principles and show capability to put it into practice.
5. Knowledge and skills on institutionalised capacity building and organisational development is an asset
6. Experience in organizing and delivering workshops, meetings or trainings at all level.
7. Ability and willingness to travel to project locations
8. An awareness of disability and understanding of the principles of inclusion required.
9. Excellent reporting skills.
10. Excellent communication skills.
11. Bahasa Indonesia and English language skills.
12. Enthusiasm, critical thinking and a creative approach to problem solving highly valued.
Qualified applicants should send:
a. Application letter outlining your interest
b. Curriculum vitae max: 2 pages clearly describing your relevant qualifications and experience
c. Contacts of 3 professional referees.
Applications to: email@example.com using the subject line: IDN_DiDRRN_PO
NOTE: A failure to follow the above application format will result in applications being disregarded.
ASB is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only electronic applications accepted and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.