Trainer (based in West Sumatera)
July 19, 2017
Vacancy at Arbeiter-Samariter-BundIndonesia and the Philippines: Trainer, based in West Sumatera
Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund (ASB) is one of Germany‘s oldest and largest social welfare organisations. ASB has over 200 offices in Germany and a membership of 1.1 million. Core activities include the provision of public medical and rescue services alongside an extensive range of social service provision. Overseas, ASB‘s Foreign Aid Department operates mainly in the fields of humanitarian relief, return and reintegration, development and disaster risk reduction (DRR).
ASB Indonesia and the Philippines aims to build resilience through inclusive and risk aware development. ASB has been working in Indonesia, in partnership with the Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs, since 2006. In Indonesia ASB works directly with partners and communities, and in support of government, to empower and build resilience through an inclusive whole-of-community approach. A key component of the work that ASB does across the region is implementing and promoting inclusive risk aware practice. ASB is also a founding member of the Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction Network (DiDRRN).
Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFFDRR) and 2030 Agenda place risk management central to resilience. Risk prevention and reduction are increasingly recognised as central to development alongside an ongoing emphasis on preparedness for response in the SFDRR. At the same time, a broadened understanding of risk management, under the umbrella of resilience, is proving challenging to governments. The challenges lie in integrating key development components, such as income generation for the poor, alongside improved preparedness initiatives.
The project ‘Strengthening of DRR capacities and resilience of coastal communities in West Sumatera, therefore, seeks to link socio-economic development activities and risk management to reduce underlying risk factors in two districts in West Sumatera, Pesisir Selatan and the Mentawai Islands. The project key components include capacity building for community through institutionalised and practical integration of preparedness and livelihood development measurements. The inclusion of most at-risk groups, i.e. women, older people and persons with disability in the project implementation will serve as social cohesion contributor to strengthen community resilience. The project will also seek to support governance capacities in the two working areas.
The project will seek synergies with government planning and programming where possible and promote greater emphasis on risk management and inclusion of highly at risks in line with the National Resilient Village Programme priorities.
For this project, ASB Indonesia and Philippines is seeking expression of interest from qualified and committed individuals for following position
Trainer (1 position)
Project Manager and
Stakeholder Engagement Specialist
West Sumatera, Pesisir Selatan and Mentawai Islands with possible travel
to other areas as necessary.
21 August 2017
- 20 March 2019 (19 months)
This position is primarily to lead training and related capacity building activities aimed at building community resilience within a combined DRR and livelihoods framework. The position is also to supportthe establishment and capacity building of community organisations and local government working groups. Duties will include community and local governemnt engagement and trainings/capacity buildingdelivery and documentation. The Trainer reports to Project Manager and is expected to coordinate closely with other team members including Stakeholder Engagement Specialist, Training and Capacity Transfer Coordinator, Project Officer and FieldFacilitator.
Duties & Essential Job Functions:
1. To work closely with Stakeholder Engagement Specialist, Training and Capacity Transfer
Coordinator,Project Officer, other Trainer, and Field Facilitators in planning, preparing
and delivering high-quality training and related capacity building activities.
2. In close coordination with the team members to ensure that relevant materials and
documents are developed,and equipment is prepared in advance of trainings and
related capacity building activities.
3. To coordinate training and capacity building activities with key stakeholders and partners,
especially local governments at district and sub-district levels, village governments,
community, Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs) and external trainers.
4. To ensure training and related capacity building activities are actively-participatory,
inclusive, practically focused and relevant.
5. To ensure active participation of key stakeholders in training and capacity buidling activities
with particular regard to participation and inclusion of potentially at-risk groups according
to gender, age, disability and socio-economic standing. Also, pay due regard to individuals
who may be impacted as indirect beneficiaries of the activities.
6. To actively conduct monitoring and evaluation for training and capacity building
activities including identification of problems and possible solution; preliminary
assessments of people with disability and other at risk groups and ensure their inclusion.
7. To deliver and documenttraining and related capacity building activities in line with ASB
and partner expectations and requirements.
8. To lead in administering and documenting trainings and related capacity buidling
activitiesincluding training logs, training content and information regarding
number of people trained and how, when and where.
9. To ensure training and capacity building activities documentation is gender, age and
disability aware and that all documentation is suitably disaggregated by gender,
age and disability.
10. To actively communicate with Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement
Specialistproblems and possible solution identified in training and capacity
11. Representation of ASB to local project partners, government and to other concerned
parties including informal and formal coordination meetings, conferences,
capacity building activity and similar.
12. To comply with ASB security and safety guidelines and code of conduct and actively
contribute to a safe, secure and healthy working environment for all team members,
partners and beneficiaries.
13. Any other duties as advised by Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement
Specialistthat are in relation to the project.
Output: The main outputs and verifiable deliverables of the position are:
1. The delivery of the above to ensure the quality of programming and to support the
successful implementation of projects.
2. Local government and community organisations arecapacitated in DRR and livelihood in
building community resilience framework.
3. Quality training plan developed.
4. Training materials developed.
5. Training monitoring and evaluations completed.
6. Completedtraining and capacity building activities log and records.
7. Monthly summary reports of activities, issues and recommendations submitted to the
8. Regular spoken updates toProject Manager and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist.
9. The prompt reporting of issues and risks and possible solution identified to Project
Manager and Project Coordinator.
10. Monthly work log.
• Minimum 4 yearexperience of working in communitycapacity development.
• Skills and knowledge of capacity building is required.
• Knowledge of community-based disaster risk reduction is an adavantage.
• Experience of working in livelihood and/or business development is an advantage.
• Experience in organizing and deivering training and capacity building activities at
community and sub-national level.
• Good communication and coordination skills.
• Knowledge of national, local risk management policy and planning an advantage.
• Knowledge of gender, disability and inclusion an advantage.
• Good reporting skillsis an advantage.
• High level of analytical skills.
• Computer literate (minimum MS Office).
• Able to multi-task and work to achieve deadlines.
• Able to work under own initiative as well as within a team in a multicultural environment.
ASB Indonesia and the Philippines is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants should send:
a) application letter outlining your interest
b) curriculum vitae max: 2 pages clearly describing your relevant qualifications and experience
c) 2 referees’ contact details.
d) Email application should using subject line: IDN1602_TRAINER_(applicant’s name)
Send your applications to Ms.
Artini at email@example.com, latest on July 24th2017.
NOTE: A failure to follow the above application format will result in applications being disregarded.
Only electronic applications accepted and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.