Research Officer (1 position) - based in Yogyakarta (CLOSED)
December 18, 2019
Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund is a German relief and social-welfare organisation engaged in a wide range of social service provision in Germany and abroad. Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Office for Indonesia and the Philippines (ASB) is working in Indonesia in partnership with the Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs since the 2006 Yogyakarta earthquake, and in the Philippines since the 2013 Typhoon Haiyan. ASB’s core work includes in DRR, humanitarian response and socioeconomic development. Under these area of work, inclusion of persons with disabilities and older people has been a central focus of ASB. In 2013–2015, ASB in collaboration with University of Sydney conducted the first of its kind research investigating barriers and enablers of inclusive DRR in Indonesia. Through its Response Team, ASB provided humanitarian response in a large number of disasters with emphasis on inclusion. In Indonesia, ASB has been regarded as one of the leading government partners in delivering inclusive DRR and humanitarian response. ASB is also a founding member of the Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction Network (DiDRRN).
As part of an initial recruitment process, ASB is currently seeking expressions of interest from qualified and committed individuals for the following position:
RESEARCH OFFICER (1 person)
Location : Yogyakarta
Duration : 1 year
Start date : 1 February 2020
Vacancy : National position
Salary : ASB offers a competitive salary package commensurate with experience
Closing date : 10 January 2019
Complementing its ongoing early recovery programs focusing on inclusive WASH services in Central Sulawesi, ASB will soon commence a research project titled “Investing in Inclusive WASH: Further investigation into the Barriers, Enablers and Socioeconomic Values of Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities and Older Persons in the Provision of Quality WASH Services.” Funded by Elrha Humanitarian Innovation Fund (HIF), this research aims to investigate how humanitarian actors and affected communities perceives the importance of inclusive WASH in multidimensional views, and the contributing factors to the technical and practical challenges in regards to inclusive WASH. The location of this research will cover Palu, Sigi and Donggala in Central Sulawesi.
In the implementation of this research project, ASB will closely collaborate with the Center for Health Policy and Management (CHPM) of Gadjah Mada University (UGM) and the Working Group of Organisations of Persons with Disabilities (OPDs) for Humanitarian Response in Central Sulawesi. Following the principle of ‘nothing about us without us,’ persons with disabilities and older people will be involved throughout the project cycle, including as part of the research Steering Committee. The research project will involve coordination with the government at the local and national level, with dissemination targeted at the national, regional and international levels through the utilisation of ASB’s networks.
The Research Officer is responsible to ensure quality delivery of research activities and support the Principal Investigators in establishing effective coordination in partnership between ASB, CHPM UGM and the OPD Working Group by acting as the point of liaison. The Research Officer reports to the Principal Investigator and is expected to coordinate closely with other research team members including finance to ensure all project, admin and financial activities meet the internal standards as well as the expectations and regulations of back donors.
Duties & Essential Job Function:
1. Support Principal Investigators and work closely with the research team to ensure quality project delivery which is in line with donor, partner (including government and DPOs) and ASB expectations and contractual agreements.
2. Contribute to the delivery of each stage of the research, starting from the research design, protocol development, data collection based on the agreed protocol and ethical guideline, analysis, reporting and dissemination.
3. Ensure highest standard of data management, by compiling the secondary data, coding and categorising the primary data, organising and maintaining the research database for analysis.
4. Ensure all field or related activities are properly documented in line with ASB and partner expectations and formal agreement, and are readily available for internal and external reporting processes.
5. Support Principal Investigators in planning and monitoring of the research activities based on research schedules with due regard to deliverables achievement and ethical procedures.
6. Support the Principal Investigator in budget planning and control in close coordination with the Finance Team.
7. Comply with ASB security and safety guidelines, communication guideline, code of conduct and SOP.
Output: The main outputs and verifiable deliverables of the position are:
1. The delivery of the above to ensure quality and support the successful implementation of the research project.
2. Comprehensive and regularly maintained research database.
3. Regular spoken and written updates to Principal Investigators and research team.
4. Full, clear and professional project documentation in line with ASB's internal procedures and partner expectations.
5. Monthly summary reports of activities, issues and recommendations submitted to Programme Manager.
6. Monthly work log.
• Bachelor's degree in social studies; master's degree preferred.
• Experience in the field of research and knowledge in various research methodologies.
• Detail oriented and skilful in database management.
• Sound understanding of the principles of social inclusion and capability to put it into practice.
• Experience in project administration, preferably research project.
• Demonstrable solid knowledge and skills of project and financial planning, review and compliance.
• Understanding of local and national DRR and humanitarian response related policies/framework processes and mechanisms.
• Showing high responsibility and record of working in partnership at local and national level.
• Excellent representation, effective communicator and first-rate reporting skills.
• Flexible, able to multi-task, able to work independently and work well under pressure as a team player in a multicultural environment.
• A creative, critical, enquiring and flexible mind that is good at problem solving.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and Excel
• Willingness to be based in Yogyakarta and travel to other project areas.
Qualified applicants should send:
a. Application letter outlining your interest
b. CV of no more than 2 pages clearly describing their qualifications for this position
c. Contacts of 3 professional referees
Applications to email@example.com using the subject line: ASB IDN 1906 - Research Officer - (Your Name)
NOTE: A failure to follow the above application format will result in applications being disregarded.
ASB is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only electronic applications accepted and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.