Project Officer - based in West Sumatra (2 positions)
September 14, 2018
Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund (ASB) is one of Germany‘s oldest and largest social welfare organisations. ASB has over 200 offices in Germany and a membership of 1.1 million. Core activities include the provision of public medical and rescue services alongside an extensive range of social service provision. Overseas, ASB‘s Foreign Aid Department operates mainly in the fields of humanitarian relief, return and reintegration, development and disaster risk reduction (DRR).
ASB Indonesia and the Philippines aims to build resilience through inclusive and risk aware development. ASB has been working in Indonesia, in partnership with the Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs, since 2006. In Indonesia ASB works directly with partners and communities, and in support of government, to empower and build resilience through an inclusive, all-of-society approach. A key component of the work that ASB does across the region is implementing and promoting inclusive risk aware practice. ASB is also a founding member of the Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction Network (DiDRRN).
As part of an initial recruitment process, ASB is currently seeking expressions of interest from qualified and committed individuals for the following position:
PROJECT OFFICER (2 Persons)
Location: West Sumatera, Indonesia.
Duration: until 31 May 2019
Vacancy: National position
Salary: ASB offers a competitive salary package commensurate with experience
Closing: 30 September 2018
Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR) and 2030 Agenda place risk management central to resilience. Risk prevention and reduction are increasingly recognised as central to development alongside an ongoing emphasis on preparedness for response in the SFDRR. At the same time, a broadened understanding of risk management, under the umbrella of resilience, is proving challenging to governments. The challenges lie in integrating key development components, such as income generation for the poor, alongside improved preparedness initiatives.
The project ‘Strengthening of DRR capacities and resilience of coastal communities in West Sumatera, therefore, seeks to link socio-economic development activities and risk management to reduce underlying risk factors in two districts in West Sumatera, Pesisir Selatan and the Mentawai Islands. The project key components include capacity building for community through institutionalised and practical integration of preparedness and livelihood development measurements. The inclusion of most at-risk groups, i.e. women, older people and persons with disability in the project implementation will serve as social cohesion contributor to strengthen community resilience. The project will also seek to support governance capacities in the two working areas.
The project will seek synergies with government planning and programming where possible and promote greater emphasis on risk management and inclusion of highly at risks in line with the National Resilient Village Programme priorities.
This position is primarily to assist in coordination and delivery of field activities aimed at building community resilience within a combined DRR and livelihoods framework. The position is also to assist in the documentation of good practices developed. Duties will include local stakeholder coordination, community engagement and capacity building/trainings delivery. The Project Officer reports to the Project Manager and is expected to coordinate closely with other team members including Stakeholder Engagement Specialist, Trainer, Field Facilitator, and other Project Officer.
Duties & Essential Job Functions:
1. To work closely with Stakeholder Engagement Specialist and other Project Officer, Trainers and Field Facilitators in planning and preparing meetings, workshops and trainings.
2. In close coordination with the team members to ensure that relevant material, documents and equipment are prepared in advance of project field activities including meetings, workshops and trainings.
3. To coordinate with key stakeholders and partners, especially local governments at district and sub-district levels, village governments, community, Disabled People’s Organizations (DPOs) and external trainers.
4. To lead the development of community planning and regulation related to DRR and livelihoods.
5. To lead the establishment of community organization and mobilization related to DRR and livelihoods.
6. To work closely with Trainers prepare and deliver high-quality trainings and related capacity-building activities.
7. To deliver field activities as agreed under the agreement between ASB, donor, and government.
8. To actively communicate with Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist problems and possible solution identified in all project activities.
9. To support Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist to ensure planning and compliance regarding activities, outputs (with due regard to outcomes) and financial compliance.
10.Representation of ASB to local project partners, government and to other concerned parties including informal and formal coordination meetings, conferences, capacity building activity and similar.
11.To ensure active participation of key stakeholders in all project activities with particular regard to participation and inclusion of potentially at-risk groups according to gender, age, disability and socio-economic standing. Also, pay due regard to individuals who may be impacted as indirect beneficiaries of project activities.
12.To actively conduct monitoring and evaluation for project activities including identification of problems and possible solution; preliminary assessments of people with disability and other at risk groups and ensure their inclusion.
13.To work closely with Stakeholder Engagement Specialist maintain full quality of all field, or related, activities documentation for ASB, donor, and partner including government reference.
14.To work closely with Stakeholder Engagement Specialist ensure all project ddocumentation is gender, age and disability aware and that all documentation is suitably disaggregated by gender, age and disability.
15.To support ASB humanitarian operations including emergency response as necessary.
16.To comply with ASB security and safety guidelines and code of conduct and actively contribute to a safe, secure and healthy working environment for all team members, partners and beneficiaries.
17.Any other duties as advised by Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist that are in relation to the project.
Output: The main outputs and verifiable deliverables of the position are:
1. The delivery of the above to ensure the quality of programming and to support the successful implementation of projects.
2. Relevant and practical community DRR and livelihood plan, and regulation developed.
3. Operational community organization related to DRR and livelihood established.
4. Completed log and records of field activities including meetings, trainings and workshops.
5. Monthly summary reports of activities, issues and recommendations submitted to the Project Manager.
6. Regular spoken updates to Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist.
7. The prompt reporting of issues and risks and possible solution identified to Project Manager and Stakeholder Engagement Specialist.
8. Monthly work log.
• Minimum 5 years experience of working in DRR and community development.
• Knowledge and technical skills on community-based disaster risk reduction and related planning (incl. Renkon/RPBD) are required.
• Experience of working in livelihood and/or business development is an advantage.
• Experience in engagement with, and ensuring participation of, community and community-based organizations.
• Experience in organizing workshops, meetings or trainings at community and sub-national level.
• Ability and willingness to travel to project locations and flexibility to stay in project sites in certain period.
• Good communication and coordination skills.
• Skills and knowledge of capacity building is required.
• Knowledge of national, local risk management policy and planning an advantage.
• Knowledge of gender, disability and inclusion an advantage.
• Good reporting skill is an advantage.
• High level of analytical skills.
• Computer literate (minimum MS Office).
• Able to multi-task and work to achieve deadlines.
• Able to work under own initiative as well as within a team in a multicultural environment.
Qualified applicants should send:
a. Application letter outlining your interest
b. Curriculum vitae max: 2 pages clearly describing your relevant qualifications and experience
c. Contacts of 3 professional referees.
Applications to: email@example.com using the subject line: IDN_West Sumatera_PO
NOTE: A failure to follow the above application format will result in applications being disregarded.
ASB is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only electronic applications accepted and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.